Yes, this is my 75th blog post! It definitely feels like a milestone.
So what is up this week? I have taken a break from making masks and am back to quilting. There is a bit of a back log of FMQ that needs to be done as I did not attempt FMQ right after my cataract surgery. The backlog includes: applique projects Hope, Nelke and Red Delicious and my carpenter square log cabin. All are sandwiched and ready for action.
I also have some solid satin tops that I have been adding a neckline detail with deco stitching. These durable, washable hammered satin tops are comfy and go with everything, but I do like embelishing them. I reached into the sewing studio closet and finished up these:
Then my youngest phoned, wanting a bright table runner to perk up her little apartment. Her kitchen is red, so I found some white and red grunge and a cute print and made up some 6″ HSTs. I sent photos of several layouts and she selected the pinwheel layout. Keeping it simple, I stitched some feathers to enhance the pinwheels. This took a day, so back to my FMQ pile.
First up on my Tiara is Nelke, an Esther Aliu pattern. Northcott Stonehenge fabric left over from a previous project were used for the flowers, leaves and birds. (This is why the flowers don’t match! But I like the effect.) Grunge white is used for the background and you can see faint patches of green in the grunge. Grunge aqua was used for the flange and binding. Leftover aqua chevron wideback from a previous project was used for the backing. I added a hanging sleeve for easy display. It finished at 30″ x 30″.
The applique was outlined in MonoPoly and the seams stitched. I didn’t want the Celtic knot border print obscured by thread, so I used MonoPoly on the border as well and followed the outside of the knot designs. White Magnifico, high sheen thread from Superior Threads is used for the outlining and McTavishing.
Happy quilting to all! Lennea